Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Friday, November 30, 2007

Cancer chapter of my life begins...Life on Sutent

i am on a drug called Sutent which uses the bodies immune system to fight the cancer. since my immune system is so busy fighting the cancer, i can get sick very easily and have to stay away from people who are sick or have been around other people who are sick. basically while i am on these meds, it is like i have aids...my white blood cell count goes down as do my platelets and my hemoglobin.

translation...i get sick easily, fatigued quickly and if i cut myself, wont stop bleeding.

i have to have my blood checked every 3 weeks to make sure that the levels are okay to continue...the meds have fucked up my thyroid, so they had to put me on thyroid meds.
my anxieties are through the roof so i am on a drug 4x a day for that. oh yeah...and my hair is growing in completely gray...lovely side effect. i get nauseous easily, i have the runs all the time. my mouth gets extremely sensitive, my tongue peels, my finger tips get extremely sensitive. i turn yellowish...my pee is highlighter yellow...all from the Sutent. while it is making my immune system fight, it is also slowing the production of cells in my body. since cancer cells grow faster than normal cells...they also die faster when they are denied the nutrients necessary to grow. because of this, in 30% of the cases taking Sutent, they have actually reduced the size and amount of cancer in their bodies.

so, my fingers are crossed that this "miracle drug" gives me my miracle. i am hopeful that my body is strong enough to fight this, i am hopeful that i will live to see next christmas.

No comments: