Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Saturday, December 1, 2007

FMLA - Not long enough to cure cancer

my company honors the FMLA...120 days paid leave. after that you have to apply for LTD which is one of our benefits as well...you have to be approved by the company that provides the LTD however. w00t! I was approved today and will start receiving 60% of my current salary at the end of Jan. too bad that my last regular paycheck is in Dec...i won't have a paycheck for approx. 5 weeks. it could be worse, my case was actually approved within 2 weeks for LTD...i was told that it can take 2 months. My company will keep me on disability for 2 years and during that time will continue to keep me on their insurance for the rate i was paying as a regular employee. After the 2 years, i must apply for SS and take over the full payment of my insurance. IM JUST HOPING TO MAKE IT 2 YEARS!!!

I hafta admit that the best thing about FMLA is if you go back to work for 3 (or 4 i dont remember) months, the whole thing resets and you can go back on FMLA if you need to (and thus back to your full salary). so, although 4 months is not long enough to cure cancer, if you have a supportive boss and company, there is no reason why you can't work something out so the system actually works in your favor for once. i have yet to be stable enough to be able to commit to work for several DAYS let alone several months, but each day as i get stronger and more stable, i hope to be able to work something out.

No comments: