Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

UPDATE: Gonna be kickin' it oldschool

had my final pre-op appt with the renal onc surgeon today....will be on my way to the generaal pre-op appointment at the hospital shortly.

well, i thought that they were going to be closing me up using the cool plastic zipper thingy made by medizip that i posted a link to on a previous post, but today i learned that they are going to stitch me up the old school way. damn...i was looking forward the the whole "Frankenstein" effect with that thing on me. oh well.

also, dr cold fish gave himself a 50/50 chance of getting the kidney out today. he said he is hoping that the tissue is soft enough that he can peel it back, clamp it and get to the vein he needs to get to. he said that the other vein(or artery) i dont know which one is which still...that he has to get to is no problem...its just one of them that he has concerns about.

i told him that i was going to cross my fingers as they put me under so my fingers were crossed the whole time. he said he would cross his too....somehow i don't think its such a great idea if HE crosses his fingers! ha!

also found out exactly what "bowel cleansing" is today....its pretty much what is sounds like. sunday i have to be on a liquid diet...water, gatorade, broth, etc. and then take a heavy duty laxative around lunch to clear my ass out...MMmmMMMmm. guess they don't want me pooping on the operating table...understandable.

more on the second appointment of the day later.....

2 comments:

Catalina said...

hey there. I'm a friend of Sam's and she gave me your blog link yesterday. I've read everything and want you to know that I'm thinking of you and rooting for a successful surgery and recovery. you are amazing and strong. consider me your cheerleader!

Anonymous said...

I know you will be having a "busy" day today with your prepping and worrying and waiting. But I just wanted to throw a few good thoughts your way. I remember only too well the mixture of relief and pure fear that came with finally making it to my surgery day. I hope you get some rest before tomorrow.

Today is my last day on Sutent for a couple weeks, so I'm happy! Out, Out damn foot sores!!!

My hope is that your team T's hands and minds are guided by the universal good energy that sustains us all.

When you are done, I will welcome you to the world of the unibeaners.

Linda