Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Saturday, May 24, 2008

MmmmMMmm Sutent.....again....

well, i had my "next steps" appointment with dr. doom on thurs. i still have fluid in my belly and the nodules are still weeping....the steroids don't seem to be doing much other than making want to eat everything in sight. he asked if i wanted for him to arrange to have my belly drained again....i said heck no, not yet, its not that bad yet and it hurt so badly for the 24-48 hrs after it was drained before...i am just not ready for it again. he said that assuming i have the same response to the sutent as i have had in the past, it will help the nodules, hopefully stop the weeping completely and then the fluid will be reabsorbed into the body. i am hoping for that. holding out for that actually....but, if the fluid builds up too much, i'll have to go in next week and be "drained" again. yuck. i must say, that the best feeling in the world right now is wanting food. after 2 months of not wanting to even think of food let alone eat it, i now have my cravings back and am eating anything and everything i want. it feels wonderful.

anyway, my dr. decided to start me back on the 37.5mg (4weeks on, 2 weeks off) dose of sutent while i am still rebuilding my stamina. since i tolerated the 50mg dose so well before, he thought that i would be fine in my weakened condition on the 37.5mg dose while i continued to get stronger for my next battle in the war on CDRCC. so, i will start on the new dose cycle middle of next week.....insurance is slow with the approval of the Rx cuz of the holiday weekend...uggg. the drug store has pre-approval, but can't hook me up until the final paperwork is in. so annoying. i've been approved so many times for so many drugs, it's hard to believe that it is taking this much time at this point.

anyway, that's the only news i have....starting back on a lower dose of sutent while i rebuild my strength, re-evaluate after this first cycle back to see if he wants to put me on another round of the 50mg or whether i can get strong enough fast enough to try the chemo cocktail in 6 weeks or so. i will keep everyone posted on that. losing my hair...that will really suck...yes, i am vain about my hair. i am a leo and have always had a "mane". that will be hard to get over when the side effect kicks in. forget the white hair that sutent gives me. hopefully we won't be attempting that treatment until after summer.

thanks as always for all the support. hope to see many of you soon and talk to those that i can't see soon as well.

No comments: