Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Steady as she goes...

2wk check went as usual. the plan now is to not rock the boat...if it aint broke, don't fix it...pick your favorite cliché. i am going to stay on the 25mg constant dose of sutent because it seems to be maintaining the amount of fluid in my belly...maybe even reducing it slightly. so, i am going to stay on this treatment for the next 3 weeks until my next set of scans. if the side effects get to me too much, dr. doom said i could take a week off or so and then start back...to just call in and let them know.

so, holding steady i am. side effects are the same. sore mouth, very tired, constantly in the bathroom, hair growing in white and sensitive finger tips. i am going to start taking naps. i just get too cranky because i am so tired so a nap is what i am prescribing myself. they tested my thyroid today to see if they need to adjust the dose of synthroid since this may still be contributing to my fatigue, but i haven't heard the results yet.

anyway, that's about it for now. oh! thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes! lucky 32!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for consistency! Keep up the good fight.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I couldn't stop reading your blog. My dad was diagnosed with clear cell kidney cancer a few months ago. (no symptoms except being extremely, extremely, tired) By the time they found it, it was the size of a football, and had spread to his lungs. They were able to operate, luckily, but it was tough. (he developed something called "sundowners syndrome". Very scary and disconcerting. He thought we were conspiring against him). Anyway, he's been on Sutent (50mg) ever since, and has been having a pretty rough time. We just went out to see him (He's in CA, I'm in VA), and I know what you mean about the hair - his is totally white now, and it wasn't, just a few months ago.
Unfortunately, they found a tiny spot now in his brain, too tiny last month to do anything about. He had a follow-on MRI yesterday, and will get the results today. If it's grown, he'll have radiosurgery on Tuesday - which he's really worried about.
I can really relate to so much of what you're going through. (though, not to the extreme) I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago, and now having to see my dad go through this, is so hard. Like you said, the waiting is the worst.
Best of luck to you. I love the way you write. Your spirit, sense of humor, and strength are inspiring. I wish you the best, and may Sutent beat that sucker!
Theresa
They just found a

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday sare bear! I've been busy finishing up this stupid summer semester and as usual, didn't slow down enough to remember my friends....even my bestest ones like yourself ;-) I can't wait for your next birthday - I'm comin' to NC to help celebrate that bitch! Oooorah!!! :-) I love you my dear friend! That sutent is gonna whip that cancers crazy ass!

Go Team Bean Saver!!!