Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cleared and ready for vaca

dr. doom wanted to see me a week after my last drain...today was the day. everything went as usual...the plan is the same, to stay on the 25mg sutent for now and manage the toxicity vs. effectiveness. maybe a 6 or 7 week on 1 week off schedule and maybe increase the dose at some point....basically its trial and error at this point....see what i can handle and see how long it is going to be effective. he told me that since i have been on the drug for so long and i know my body and how it reacts and all that i can pretty much push myself and/or manage the cycles myself....to simply call or email them when i need a break so they know what i am taking or not taking. i will still continue to have my check up appts. every 3 weeks, but he decided to empower me a little this time with my treatment schedule. he also said that if during my breaks i continue to build up fluid and need to be drained, then of course we will do that.

speaking of being drained....so far so good. i seem to be maintaining from the drain last week. today i was 10lbs lighter than my last appt. (they weighed me before i was drained and they took approx. 9lbs of fluid off last week) so, i am maintaining and lost another lb. which could have just been water since i was a little dehydrated today.

i was also cleared to go on vacation next week...except dr. doom told me to get a big hat since my skin is going to be sensitive to sunlight and i will burn easily while on the sutent.

beautiful litchfield beach here i come!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, if you click on the picture, you really can see a fin! Have a great beach getaway!!!

Anonymous said...

I see a fin too! Anyway, I love your Batdog pic and story. Have a great vacation!