Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Scan Day - Merry Xmas

December 27th has finally arrived. My anxieties are high. i don't want to drink the nasty dye. i get to my appointment on time and am taken back into the "drinking room" and get settled in the little hospital bed to get my drink on. this time, they offer me an alternative to the 6 mega-shots of nastiness. they offer me what they call a "Banana Smoothie" and i only have to drink 2 10oz cups of it vs. the 6 6oz cups of nasty. supposedly the side effects aren't as bad either. BRING ON THE BANANA SMOOTHIE!
well, let me tell you, banana smoothie it is not. oh yeah, it smells like bananas and looks like a white, half melted milkshake, but it feels and tastes like milk of magnesia. it is disgusting. but, i dont have to drink as much of it, so i drink on. halfway through the first 10oz of yuckiness, my banana smoothie decides it wants to come back out and i grab the nearest trash can which just so happens to be the same height as the bed. hmmm, i guess im not the first to need it. i manage to only spit up a little of the stuff and choke the rest back down. this happens again on the second cup and halfway through the second cup the nurse(at least i thought she was a nurse) comes in the with IV bucket of tools and proceeds to try, i stress try, to start my IV. i have the worst veins...they just dont want to come out and play. because of this, i always have to get stuck in the hand. all the nurses hate this...smaller target requires more talent. every single one of them that has had to start an IV on me or take blood for tests has insisted that they are good and want to check my upper arm to see if they can "get me" and every single one accepts defeat and ends up going for the hand. Well, the "nurse" tried the hand and ended up blowing my vein and giving me a big ole bruise. she then says "oh, you are hard, i'll have to call the RN and get her to start your IV." CALL THE RN. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU THEN?!?
within 5 minutes another lady comes in with the IV bucket of tools whom i presume to be the RN. she tries the other hand and gets me no problem.
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that this time, i also have to drink gatorade with baking soda in it every hour for 4 hours after the scan. this is to help my kidneys push the dye out of my system since it is not good for it to stay in there for too long.
anyhoo, on to the scan. it goes off without a hitch as usual. it is simply the prep for it that i dread. the IV dye that they inject just before the scan i am starting to enjoy. it gives you a weird warm feeling all over as it flows through your veins and all around your body. like a big warm fuzzy...it also makes you feel like you have to pee, but that quickly passes.

now the wait. it is a holiday week. my dr originally wanted to do my scan the first of the year, but i insisted on having it before the end of the year for insurance purposes. my deductible was met long ago and i wanted to fit as much into 07 as possible before the deductible reset. he understood and moved the date without hesitation. so, like i said, now the wait begins. it is a holiday week, but luckily my dr is on call and said he will call with preliminary results as soon as he gets a look at my scan.

fingers, toes, legs, arms...all of them are crossed for good news. please let it be good news!!

No comments: