Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lovely new side effect...

opps! i forgot to mention why i am on a break from the sutent. i'm not one to quit, but damn, i just couldn't take it anymore....i needed a break. besides the usual side effects i experience, low white cells, low platelets, low hemoglobin, the runs, sore mouth, lack of appetite, sensitive fingers and weight loss....i was lucky enough to get a new one...blisters on the hands. yup, those nasty little bastards that i have read about finally came looking for me. mine aren't really best described as blisters tho...they are more like callouses or corns that just keep getting bigger and bigger and new ones appear daily. they itch like crazy and are painful when touched. i had a bunch on my right thumb and my middle finger. try picking things up when you are right handed....the locations were perfect for maximum annoyance! made it hard to play wii damnit!! :) thankfully, like all of my other side effects they subside over a week or so when i go off the sutent. they have shrunk considerably now and just feel like normal callouses...with a yellowish tint to them thanks to good ole sutent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

I'm Dave Snyder - a friend of your Mom's and Doug's. I live in Winston-Salem.

I used to lead lighthouse tours and Leigh and Doug have taken at least three trips with me. I like your folks a lot.

One time Doug and I got a little toasted in Key Largo, Florida on mojitos - your mom had the sense to drink a lot less. Later that evening I fell down the stairs . . . I digress.

The last time I saw your folks was in August 2005 in northern Michigan. Since then I have lived in California and Maine. In February of this year, we moved down to Winston-Salem because I accepted a position with the Veterans Administration.

I've had cancer - but "baby cancer" compared to yours. They found melanoma on my lower back in 1991, superficial and they excised it - no recurrence.

We've been down to Charlotte twice. I am looking forward to the new IKEA opening.

My partner, Mark, keeps a blog about our experiences as Yankees in North Carolina. If you want to read a little about us, see: http://kneedeepingrits.blogspot.com

I look forward to meeting you and appreciate the opportunity to read your blog and get inside the head of someone who's going through what you're going through . . .

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you.