Whatchu talkin bout Willis?!

so, in my search for people like me out there...30 somethings that have been diagnosed with kidney cancer, the pickin's are slim. many personal blogs are about random drama in people's lives that few other people in this world give a rat's a$$ about...this one will probably be no different. although the main subject will be my cancer, i'm sure i will go off on random tangents about anything from mixed emotions to who cut me off on the highway today. im not an english major...i wont capitalize or punctuate correctly, i will change tenses and i will speak like a g33k from time to time. basically i will be me...because i can hide behind my computer screen and its great!

ps...i will also jump around...my mind is all over the place all the time...

Sunday, August 31, 2008

You can't make this sh!t up....

before i get to the subject of the title of this post, i've got to give a shout out to my ECU Pirates for coming through at the last minute to whoop Va Tech's ass yesterday. WOOHOO!!!! i must admit, i did not have faith in my Pirates, but they restored that faith. I WILL NEVER DOUBT YOU AGAIN O FAVORITE COLLEGE O MINE!

second, i grew up near the Chesapeake bay....crab country. i miss a good crab cake damnit. the one thing they know how to do down south is mess up a crab dish. people....green peppers RUIN crab flavor. yuck! and, let me tell you, if you are at a restaurant that is 100miles or more from the Chesapeake bay, DO NOT BELIEVE IT when the menu says "Maryland Style Crab Cakes". they are lying. what you will get is a crab cake with too much filler, green peppers and stringy, nasty, tiny bits of crab meat...nowhere will you find true "lump crab" unless you are near the Chesapeake bay. so, i miss a good crab cake. yeah i know you can order them and have them shipped to you, but that's just not the same. so, here's another shout out to TRUE Chesapeake bay style Maryland crab cakes. YUMMY TO MY TUMMY!

this is my pup...when he was a pup....he will be 8 on halloween.
OK...on to the real meat of this post. pun intended. you can't make this shit up if you tried. i found out the other day that my dog, yes, my dog, has cancer. i took him to the kennel the other day which also happens to be his vet. they asked if i wanted them to look at anything and i told them to look at a couple skin tags that he has below his left elbow. he gets them all the time and i have had them looked at before and they always tell me that they are fine and i can leave them alone if they are not bothering him. well, i had them look at them this time because something told me to....i just had a feeling that they needed to look at them again. well, later that day, i get a call that they are recommending he have his teeth cleaned cuz he has a cracked tooth and that if i want, they can take off the skin tags while he is under for the teeth. they tell me that one of the skin tags is a little larger than the other and that it might require a couple stitches, but otherwise it should be straightforward. great...do it. she tells me that she will call the next day after he wakes up from everything and will let me know how it went.

so, the next day i get a call...his teeth cleaned up great, the cracked molar isn't bothering him so they want to leave it in for now and just keep an eye on it, the skin tags came off fine but the one that needed stitches became "angry" when he was in recovery and this is not normal. she took a tissue sample via a syringe and looked at it under the microscope and determined that the pathology was cancerous. WTF?! are you freaking kidding me?! now my dog has cancer. is there something in the water, something in my house? come on...my luck has got to change soon! she tells me that if i agree, another vet (one that knows me and my dog) can perform surgery sunday(today) to remove the entire tumor from his forearm. she says that this type of cancer has a good prognosis if the entire tumor can be removed. HELL YEAH REMOVE THE DAMN THING! ASAP! fix my baby! at least one of us can say we are in "remission".

i don't know exactly what type it is...i didn't catch all of the details she was telling me because i was in shock about my luck. i was thinking "what's next?". i am supposed to get a call with an update today after his surgery. i'll post what i find out. this time cross your fingers, toes, legs arms and eyes for my dog!

this is my pup now. what a sweetie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah
Unbelievable! I really feel for you but I believe that Scout is going to be ok and come through this just as I know you will. Regardless, everything is crossed again and I'll be waiting for your next post which I know will be good news about Scout. How have you been since being off the sutent for a little while? Love you bunches!